Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Basic Spinach Soup

Wintry days are upon us and we long for supper that can warm us from the inside.. We had a big bunch of fresh green spinach from the farmer's market trip last weekend. Greens lose their nutrients very quickly and I was not keen on letting this beautiful bunch languish in the crisper, so when I found this recipe, I decided to try it immediately. This soup was simplicity itself to make and warmed us up wonderfully.

Ingredients
- 1 big bunch Spinach, ends trimmed off
- 1 Onion, chopped into big chunks
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp dried Basil
- 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- freshly ground Pepper
- Salt
- splash of milk

Toss Onion, Garlic and Spinach and 3-4 cups of water into a Pressure cooker. I didn't bother with chopping the spinach. I cooked this for about 2-3 whistles of my slow but trusty pressure cooker. Once this cools down a bit, puree till silky smooth. Took 30 seconds on my Braun Immersion blender. Add rest of the ingredients and boil for just a few minutes. I made a slurry of corn starch and added it to thicken it just a little bit, since I added too much water to start with. That's it - easy as can be and if you like Spinach, this is worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment