Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Thai curry with vegetables and tofu

 A very simple and flavorful curry that can be prepared in 30 minutes start to finish. We love this creamy, spiced gravy with a generous helping of vegetables and tofu served alongside a steaming bowl of rice. I think I have previously blogged a green curry recipe where I made the green curry paste myself. There is no contest - using a fresh, homemade curry paste will knock your socks off. But there are priorities. When you don't have a bunch of time to collect the ingredients and make your own curry pastes, the ready-made pastes come to the rescue. 

The basic version of this is almost a non-recipe. Plus, we all get to eat the same dinner which means I don't have to spend twice the amount of time in the kitchen making M's dinner and our dinner. That's what makes it a winner, in my book. But enough chitchat.


Ingredients

4 cups of diced mixed vegetables - any combination of peppers, squashes, yams, potatoes, broccoli/cauliflower, carrot

1/2 block or 7oz pressed or extra firm Tofu, diced into half inch pieces

1 onion, sliced thin - optional

1 T neutral oil

1-2 heaped T curry paste, always check the spice level

1 14oz can of coconut milk, well shaken  - low fat if you are feeling virtuous

1 C water - or more, depending on desired consistency

Fresh basil or cilantro for garnishing


Method

Heat the oil and if you are using onions, brown them lightly with some salt. Add the mixed vegetables (yes, all at once) and lightly sauté them for 2 minutes. Add the curry paste, the coconut milk, and the tofu. Rinse out the coconut milk can with water and add 1 extra cup of water. If using an instant pot, set it on low pressure mode for 7 minutes with natural pressure release. If using a stove-top pressure cooker, cook like you would if you had to steam vegetables (like potatoes) - whatever that takes in your pressure cooker. Garnish with fresh basil or cilantro.


The ardent reader might have noted the absence of any "heat" in my recipes. That's because this food is kid approved :) I don't know why, but my coconut milk split a bit today. I think it might be because I neglected to shake the can well and the coconut fat was separated to begin with. It didn't bother me too much, since it doesn't happen often. I like using this method since it is completely hands-off after cutting the vegetables and dumping them into the instant pot. But if I have some time to spare, I might just add the coconut milk after the vegetables cook with the curry paste and then simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. That will ensure the coconut milk doesn't split.









No comments:

Post a Comment