Sunday, October 17, 2021

Tendli Bhaat

I love this stuff. It's so flavorful. This is Tendli Bhaat, my way.

Ingredients 
3 C Ivy gourd - slit lengthwise or chopped into rounds
2 C rice
3 T oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 C cashew nuts
2 tsp tamarind paste
2 tsp Goda masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
4C water
10-15 curry leaves
1/2 C shredded coconut
1/2 C chopped cilantro

Method 
Wash the rice thoroughly at the beginning and let it rest. Heat oil in a pressure cooker or instant pot. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Once they pop, add the curry leaves and cashew nuts along with asafetida. After a few seconds, add the ivy gourd pieces, garlic, and the powders. Saute for 5 minutes. Next, add water, tamarind paste, and salt. Mix well. Proceed to cook the rice as usual if using a pressure cooker. Or, if using an instant pot, use manual mode high pressure 8 minutes with natural release. Garnish with fresh shredded coconut and cilantro.

Final notes 
- I ran out of Goda masala this time and I subbed garam masala. Sure, it isn't the same, but not a disqualifier
- I ran out of cashew nuts and threw in some sliced almonds instead. The texture it brought did work.
- I like using tamarind in this. I enjoy the acidity it brings to the party.




No comments:

Post a Comment